Open IRC (Internet Relay Chat) server
- click on "Go!"
- enter the nickname you want to have
- enter one or more channels (i.e. #help), beginning with a #
- if the channel doesn't exist, it is created
- to see a list of all channels, use the /list command in the status window (after you are connected)
- click "connect"
- now you can chat with other people in the same channel
There are several IRC clients you can use. Just google for it. File transfers and direct chats are possible.
You can put a chat window on your own site, connecting directly to a channel. To do so, click on the Go!-link. Then click on the top left button and choose "Add webchat to your site". Follow the instructions.